mandag, juni 08, 2009

Ich bin ein Berliner!

It has been almost 20 years since I last visited Berlin. Back then, I came with my photography class, and the timing turned out to be perfect: The wall came down only two weeks after we left. It was not necessary to speak German to pick up the tension everywhere. The atmosphere was dominated by the heated discussions among the people of Berlin. I feel lucky to have experienced East Berlin - and I felt totally confused when I came back 20 years later. Next time I go I hope it is all for pleasure so that I can linger and dwell for as long as I like and need to take in the new Berlin. This time I went with a network group at work and we had an incredibly tight but interesting schedule. These are just a few glimpses from the three days I stayed, mainly from Treptow, Die Hackeschen Höfe, Charlottenburg and Breitscheidplatz.
The closest I got to wool and fibre on this trip were these wool covered xylophone sticks. Hm... it might have been a vibraphone, actually. All that jazz! We went to the best and coolest jazz club in Berlin, A-Trane in the Charlottenburg area. Not something I would normally do, but I enjoyed it a lot. The marvellous Anja Mohr Trio was bliss, even though I had to capitulate in the break as my day had started at 03.30...

from the Treptow area, more or less



Die Hackeschen Höfe


we will never forget. Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church

Ingen kommentarer: