søndag, januar 27, 2008

Rippling? Who? Me???

As you can see, the cosiness of The Oriental Garden Hexagon Blanket is endless - and inspiring! I still have quite a stash of yarn after finishing the hexagons. Like 14 balls of Merino baby´s wool... 4 of the pale yellow balls was a Secret Pal gift and the others are left overs from various projects. After a (too) quick estimation I decided that the wool would make up a blanket the size of a single bed. I even made a swatch to figure out exactely how many chain stitches this width required. Annoyingly sagacious, I know. But don´t worry, it didn´t help me much. The zigzags came out so pretty, and the rows were sooo lang... 360 double crochets to be exact. Which does not make a 90 cm (35,5 ") wide blanket. Oh no. It makes a 150 cm (59 ") wide blanket!!! Which in turn will requre WAY more wool than my baby´s Merino stash holds. Rip the ripple, you say? That is NOT an option. The solution is very simple: A stash busting project is turned into a stash adding project :oD New (and more accurate) calculations decided I will need a total of 31 balls of wool to finish a 150 x 200 cm blanket, suitable for the guest bed (120 cm wide). This means buying 17 more balls - but then again I will use the 14 I had in my stash too. So all in all, the Ripple Blanket will NOT add a single skein to the stash, and it will still reduce it by 14 balls ;o) The rippling started last Friday, and 7 days later about 25% of the blanket was done. Not bad! I don´t expect myself to keep up the pace, though... The pale yellow will work as a backgrund colour, but I soon decided that a variation in hues will be necessary to make it more interesting. I am a big fan of randomness in design - and I hope my blanket will turn out looking "scrappy random" even if it will consist less than 50% real scraps ;o)

7 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

uff... ett stycken - pläd till... Jag blir avis och vill också virka, jöö... Dessa böljande saker tycker jag ÄR så underbara... När? Hm, hamna i Norge och komma åt härligt garn, kanske? ;)
Må så gott... värmländskan... kramis ,ngn som INTE har restgarner till ett... men vill göra ett, hihihi... Behöver nog kanske en RIKTIGT virknål också, ej metall helt... Touch-Pad, eller något kanske vore att tänka på???

Tonje sa...

Dette kommer til å bli nok et fantastisk teppe. Wow! Gleder meg til å se det ferdig.

Anonym sa...

Utruleg flotte fargar, det blir nok eit flott teppe ja! :)

Supernøtt sa...

Imponerende å sette igang med et så stort teppe rett etter det forrige. Også må du hoppe etter deg selv som Wirkola ;-)

Anonym sa...

Å, så flotte tepper! Liker fargesammensetningene dine, skikkelige gladfarger du bruker.

Anonym sa...

Oi, det er jo helt fantastisk å sette i gang med noe sånt! Og for noen nydelige farger! Jeg blir rippleinspirert uten å overhodet ha pågangsmotet til å sette i gang. WOW til deg!

Anonym sa...

Oj, for noen flotte tepper! Spreke farger du har valgt. Bøyer meg i støvet for pågangsmotet ditt!